Electroacupuncture, assessing the science, applications and systems.
To expand on the introductory ideas of electroacupuncture and to allow participants to introduce EA into their practice.
By the end of this module the participants should be able to:
- State how electricity has been used historically in medicine.
- Define the general principles of electroacupuncture.
- Understand the electroacupuncture device with which they are supplied.
- State when and why they will use electroacupuncture.
- Understand safety considerations and potential side effects of electroacupuncture.
- Be able to apply their theory of electroacupuncture to a number of conditions.
- Introduction to the use of electricity in medicine Electroacupuncture – theory
- Electroacupuncture- practical
Review, refresh and update
This module aims to refresh and revise the major concepts covered in modules 1-5 before moving on to update participants in current research and practice.
By the end of this module participants should:
- Feel comfortable and confident with all the major concepts of modules 1-5 (Foundation course and electroacupuncture module).
- Have covered issues arising from using acupuncture in practice.
- Be aware of some of the new pieces of research into musculoskeletal pain and their significance.
- Review and refresh
- Update on acupuncture for musculoskeletal conditions
- Case presentations and case discussions
Challenges of acupuncture research
- “Placebo” and “nocebo” effects
- Examples of studies
- Practice reading, reviewing and evaluating acupuncture research papers
Update on dermatology and practical applications
Update on psychology and practical applications
Update on visceral conditions and practical applications
Update on acupuncture for ocular problems
- Update on acupuncture for neurological conditions and practical applications Miscellaneous syndromes.
- Revision of techniques and conditions treated
- Case studies and presentations
- Final forum